Plinius SA-103 stereo power amplifier
The PLINIUS SA-103 stereo amplifier is a Class A amplifier capable of delivering up to 125 watts per channel in both Class A and Class AB mode. Bridged Mono RCA and Balanced Mono XLR circuits used in the SA103 allow Monoblock operation delivering in excess of 400 watts.
Like many Plinius components, the SA-103 is amongst the best power amplifiers on the market today and delivers astounding performance for its price, outperforming most competitors at several times its price.
This amplifier gets you into serious listening without breaking the bank. The SA103 are often sold as monoblocks and if you want to do that, and you have time to organise it, the factory can ensure they are made consecutively.
Plinius’s distinctive heatsink profile has allowed us to maintain the classic look and produce an amplifier capable of operating in Class A without the use of troublesome fans or other methods used for cooling. Its 500mm by 455mm footprint belies the power it produces and these units sit comfortably beside big speakers, understating somewhat their contribution to the speakers’ performance.
As with all Plinius amplifiers, premium components have been used throughout. There is the addition of a 12 Volt trigger which will allow integration into a semi-automated system.
These units are at the top of the Plinius range, sitting right under the SA Reference amplifier. With responsiveness and control they faithfully support your speakers as they seek to replicate the original artists’ efforts for your listening pleasure.
One of Stereophile’s exclusive list of Recommended Components representing the best hi-fi equipment available today.
- Stereo sustained power output, both channels driven from 20Hz to 20kHz at 0.05% total harmonic distortion:
- 125 Watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms.
- 220 Watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms.
- Mono sustained power output:
- 400 Watts RMS 20Hz to 20kHz into 8 ohms
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/-0.2dB. -3dB at 5Hz and -3dB at 70kHz
- Typically >0.05% THD at rated power
- 0.1% THD and IM worst case prior to clipping
- Current Output: 50A short duration peak per channel. Fuse protected
- Rise Time: Typically 5us
- Phase Response: +0 at 20Hz and -14 at 20kHz.
- Hum & Noise: 100dB below rated output 20Hz to 20kHz A-weighted
- Input Sensitivity: 0.8V RMS for rated output at 1kHz
- Gain: 32dB Unbalanced, 38dB Balanced
- Input Impedance: 47k
- Height: 220mm (8 3/4”)
- Width: 500mm (19 3/4”)
- Depth: 455mm (18”)
- Weight: 38kg (83lbs)