Plinius SB-301 stereo power amplifier
For the technically minded the SB-301 is a Class AB two channel amplifier that delivers over 300 watts per channel at 8 ohms.
For the not so technically minded that means it’s a really good stable amplifier unit when the speakers demand a lot of power to drive bass without distortion or treble with detail and finesse and it will cope with inefficient speakers. The standing temperature is lower than that encountered in Class A series designs because it’s a Class AB design.
Like many Plinius components, the SB-301 is amongst the best power amplifiers on the market today and delivers astounding performance for its price, outperforming most competitors at several times its price.
It delivers the power to recreate realistic listening levels with any genre of music on almost any speakers. One of Plinius’s most popular products, it forms the heart of many high-end audio systems as well as driving no-compromise AV installations.
However, it is when the Plinius turns its attention to the subtleties of sound reproduction that it truly shows its greatness. Against an eerily quiet backdrop it paints a palette of tonal colors, reproducing subtle music cues and micro-details that bring a performance to life.
The physical construction of the SB-301 is based on the SA series designs so it has the same distinctive aesthetic as the Class A products and indeed much of the electronics topology is derived from that Class A history
This amplifier delivers all the dynamics, finesse and transparency that Plinius is renowned for. Like all Plinius products it is very reliable and will rise to the challenge of difficult operating conditions time and time again.
Awarded Absolute Sound Editor’s Choice and Product of the Year awards.
- Power: 310 watts continuous per channel into 8 ohms, both channels driven from 20Hz to 20kHz at less than 0.2% total harmonic distortion.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/–0.2dB, –3dB at 70 kHz
- Typically >0.05% THD at rated power
- 0.1% THD and IM worst case prior to clipping
- Current Output: 100A short duration peak per channel, fuse protected
- Rise Time: Typically 5µs
- Phase Response: +0° at 20Hz and –14° at 20kHz
- Hum And Noise: 100dB below rated output 20Hz to 20kHz, A weighted
- Input Impedance: 47k ohms
- RCA Inputs: 32dB
- Balanced Inputs: 38dB
- Power/Current Consumption:
- 900W (maximum)
- 1.6A (370W) Class AB Idle
- 0.2A (46W) Standby
- Height: 220mm (8.75″)
- Width: 500mm (19.75″)
- Depth: 455mm (18″)
- Weight: 38kg (83lbs)