Offered for sale on behalf of one of our customers, we have a Weiss Medus in black with the Ethernet option installed, which is in very good condition, and was purchased from us mid-2018. Please note that we’re using catalogue images as the example we have is awaiting photography, with the item available being black not silver.
The acclaimed MEDUS is the ultimate DAC on the market today, outperforming competitors many times its price. Benefiting from the unrivaled studio experience of Weiss, it will process almost any digital signal to deliver the very best musical performance, combining astounding resolution with a natural reproduction of music which recreates the sense of the live performance.
An optional Ethernet streaming interface provides an ultra-low jitter streaming data stream fed direct to the DAC stage to deliver what we believe is one of the finest streaming solutions available today.
The MEDUS has its origins in Weiss’s product line for professional mastering studios. Mastering Engineers have the “Golden Ears” to give the music recordings the final touch before their release. So the MEDUS is as transparent as it can be. Hands down the best Digital to Analog Converter money can buy.
MEDUS is a stereo 24 Bit/192 kHz Digital to Analog Converter designed with the aim of keeping an absolutely uncompromising audio signal path. Much detail and thought was spent on the digital input as well as the analogue output stage. Both have in common the purest possible approach in audio design, aspiring for nothing less than excellence. This is coupled with an ergonomic design that gives the user immediate access to all necessary functions, while keeping an uncluttered and thus easy-to-use front panel. This combination makes a truly professional D/A converter catering for the highest expectations.
The MEDUS works with AES/EBU, S/DIF, USB and Firewire (optional) inputs and handles PCM as well as DSD signals. An IR remote unit controls all functions.
- Digital Inputs
- (3) XLR connectors
- TOSLINK connector (optical)
- RCA connectors
- USB connector
- All inputs accept professional or consumer standard, i.e. accept AES/EBU or S/PDIF signals
- Sampling frequencies; single wire scheme: 44.1kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz on any of the four inputs
- Sampling frequencies; dual wire scheme: 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz on inputs 1 and 2
- DSD64: On USB input
- Sampling frequency tolerance: ±80 ppm
- Maximum input word-length: 24 Bits
- Analog Outputs
- XLR Connectors
- RCA Connectors
- Servo-less, DC coupled, short circuit proof output circuitry
- Output impedance: < 100 Ω
- Output level: variable from −4.0 dBu to +27.0 dBu balanced on XLR connectors (−10.0 dBu to +21.0 dBu unbalanced on RCA connectors) with 0 dBFS input, in 1 dB steps (−4 dBu is 0.49 V, +27 dBu is 17.35 V, −10 dBu is 0.245 V, +21 dBu is 8.67 V)
- Output stage: Discrete Class A
- D/A Converter chip
- Over-sampling multi-bit sigma-delta converter
- Four converters per audio channel
- Synchronized via the input signal
- Extremely efficient Jitter attenuation down to subsonic frequencies
- Sampling frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
- DSP algorithms
- Up-sampling, jitter reduction
- Frequency Response:
- Fs = 44.1 kHz: 0 Hz…20 kHz: within ±0.25 dB
- Fs = 48 kHz: 0 Hz…20 kHz: within ±0.25 dB
- Fs = 88.2 kHz: 0 Hz…30 kHz: within ±0.75 dB
- Fs = 96 kHz: 0 Hz…30 kHz: within ±0.75 dB
- Fs = 176.4 kHz: 0 Hz…40 kHz: within ±0.75 dB
- Fs = 192 kHz: 0 Hz…40 kHz: within ±0.75 dB
- Frequency Response:
- Signal To Noise Ratio (SNR) at −40 dBFS input: 129 dB un-weighted (relative to full scale output), 132 dB A-weighted (relative to full scale output)
- At 0 to −100 dBFs input level: < ±0.05 dB deviation from ideal
- At −100 to −120 dBFs input level: < ±0.2 dB deviation from ideal
- Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise (THD+N) ratio:
- < −112 dB @ −3 dBFS input (0 dBFS = +27.0 dBu)
- < −115 dB @ 0 dBFS input (0 dBFS = +27.0 dBu)
- Crosstalk: < −110 dB, 0.20 kHz